Friday, March 13, 2020

Magpul DAKA Can- The Good, The Bad, The Cracked


I love Magpul. I'm not going to lie. As someone who wears prescription glasses and sunglasses, I'm always looking for ways to keep my eyewear safe and handy.

Fortunately, Magpul has this covered with the DAKA Can. It's simple, practical, and looks nice and tactical to add some spice to your everyday life.



The Can holds most eyewear securely inside its padded interior. The inside of the lid is padded as well, giving your gear all around protection. The lid has a recession to help you pop the top, and a steel hinge pin is used for the lid hinge.

In my testing, I found that it holds a tourniquet and other small medical supplies, or batteries, glow sticks, spare pistol mags, tools and spare parts, flash lights and so on. I keep one in my Jeep with a tourniquet and bandages and a few odds
and ends.

The Can has Pmag-like ridges on the exterior to aid in grip and to add a little visual appeal. I added small sections of grip tape, as I found the outside a bit smoother than I liked.

After getting my Can in glorious FDE, one of my coworkers saw it on my desk and picked it up. I told him how durable and crush resistant it seemed so he gave it a few squeezes. When he set it down, there was a small crack on the back of it, right by the hinge.




Now, my coworker is big, and his hands are huge, but I still didn't expect it to break, and so soon after I had bought it. The good news is that the hinge still works fine, and the lid opens and closes as if it were brand new. The crack doesn't seem to have grown, so right now it's serving as gear storage in my ride.  I picked up another Can in gray, because I like the design and functionality it provides. I've been rough with the gray one, and so far, no damage.

These days it seems like it's getting harder and harder to recommend products, as they either do what's been done before or are so specialized that only a few people will use them. The DAKA Can provides so much utility in such simple and elegant package that I definitely recommend it, even with the issues I had with the first one.



Let me know what you think and stay accurate.

Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment