Kinetic definition

We are shooters. We are manufacturers. We are KCT. This blog shares our experiences with gear, guns, ammo and more.

Check out our line of kydex holsters and magazine carriers! Holsters start at $35, and magazine carriers start at $25. Check out our ONLINE STORE.

If you have any questions or comments feel free to reply on the posts. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram!


Saturday, June 2, 2012

Mission First Tactical Mag Coupler







Mag couplers have been around for ages, ever since soldiers realized that by achieving a quicker reload, they were able to get back into the fight faster.

With the AR-pattern rifle dominating the civilian rifle market, the development of add-on and replacement parts for the endlessly-modifiable AR platform has skyrocketed, pushing new designs into the MIL/LE arena as well as the civilian/sport markets.   

As new companies step up and take a crack at design, a lot of gear that we've seen for years gets an overhaul, an update, or a complete redesign.

While out and about a month or so ago, I stumbled upon a retailer that happened to have a decent stock of MFT gear on their shelves.  having kept an eye on the company for a while, I picked up one of their M16MC magazine couplers and one of their new REACT magwell grips for T&E.

Product specs (as listed by the Mfgr.)

M16/AR15 Mag Coupler
M16MC Features and Functions:
• Fits .223, 5.56 NATO, AR15/M16, Magpul PMAGS and Ruger Mini-14
• Manufactured from high density polymer
• Will not scratch or deform magazines

Ok, two caveats with this review:  This is not a reinvention of the wheel.  It's a mag coupler.  And two:  This is a pre-range review.  I have not gotten a chance to run this thing into the ground and see what happens.  I will.  And you'll get to see it.

So, what's my first impression?

I like it... so far.  By far the best part is the price.  I ended up paying $10 for it.  Big deal?  When there's a bunch of couplers that are out there that are selling for $20+, I'd consider it a steal.  IF IT WORKS.  

I put it together with a few of my 40 round C-Products mags just to see what I felt about it.  After getting the mags lined up, I found that the system, when set up properly is offset enough to allow easy access to the standard controls on an AR-pattern rifle.  

You can see what I mean in the following pictures:





I've noticed that running such large, heavy magazines seems to drag down at the mag catch, requiring a really good shove on the mag release.  For people with great finger strength, this is not an issue.  For my thin stick-fingers, it's more of a challenge.  Also, with such large magazines, the mag change is a little bumbling for my tastes.  As I have stated, I haven't had a chance to run and gun with this thing, but the weight of the magazines seems to hinder the rapid reload the coupler is designed for.  I will be switching to my go-to PMAGS for the actual test, as toting around that much weight outboard of the gun is a detriment for most uses.

Now, this is not the coupler's fault, as it was designed to link two 30-rounders, not two 40 rounders.  However, for something like a trunk gun, clamping a few extra oversize mags together might be a great idea, especially if space is limited, and you might not have time to don that high-speed rig.

I have swapped over to the lighter and smaller PMAG's, and I have to say, the difference, at least while doing test reloads, is amazing.


Anyways, enough of my gun-store banter for now.  I'll get back with you when I take this thing to the range.  Until then, stay safe, and keep shooting!






No comments:

Post a Comment